Saturday, September 24, 2016

My Connections to Play


Playing was my way of escaping. We did not have a lot of money growing up, so I would play all kinds of imaginary games. Our parents encouraged us to play outside until the street lights came on. We had to be home by then. Children today play video games, use Snap Chat, Facebook, or any other technological device.

Growing up in my house there was there were not a lot of store bought toys. We did not have money for toys so we had to be creative. I look at the way children grow up now and I think I had it a bit better. You used your imagination; your brain. You had to add and subtract using a pencil and paper; not the Internet or Siri. Playing helped me to be creative and always looking for a solution. Play played an important part in my life; without being able to play I don't know what I would have done. It taught me how to express myself when I didn't have the words. I built friendships through play. I feel disappointed that children do not have the same opportunities that I had growing up.

Image result for quotes about childhood play




Image result for quotes about childhood play



3 comments:

  1. Delores,

    I also grew up pinching pennies as my parents were both in the military. This also meant that a lot of my time was spent either by myself, or with my younger siblings. This allowed us the freedom to use our imaginations to find things to play with or create imaginary worlds from our own apartment deck. I would never take back the days of making forts out of old cardboard boxes we found in the recycling bins nor the days spent selling newspapers so that we could buy a real collapsible soccer net instead of making our own. It taught me that the world was open to do whatever I wanted and it has been something that has helped me even as an adult, to make use of the things around me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Delores:

    I love this picture of this little girl playing in the mud. This brings back so many memories of when I was little. I enjoyed playing and exploring in the parks when it was safe and letting my imagination run wild. Play back then was a lot of fun. I did not have a lot of toys, I used whatever was around the house to play with and created my own tools to play. Your story is very meaningful and it seems like you enjoyed every minute of your early childhood life with what you had. I would not have had it any other way! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Delores
    The picture you used says a million things to me. It represents the creative and care free attitudes that children can have. The little girl probably had a ball running and splashing in mud or just playing outside after a rainy day. Sometimes kids are robbed of that care free experience because they get in trouble if they get their shoes or clothes dirty so for those kids play has restricted parameters that take away from them enjoying play.

    I remember not having expensive toys but my mom showed me how to make paper dolls and we would use shoe boxes to create homes for them. It was such a fun time that sadly not many children today will ever experience. I loved how you said adding and subtracting was done with pencil and paper and not by asking Siri that's so true.
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete