Saturday, July 23, 2016


I recall growing up in the 1960’s with very little money and resources. My mother on had a 10th grade education and my father changed jobs like the weather. He did not hold onto a job very long; for reasons I did not understand. Having six brothers and sisters, it was very difficult for my parents to provide the basics – food, clothing, and shelter. I always wore my older sister’s hand-me-downs. We ate free breakfast and lunch at school. Some days that was all we ate. There were a few times when there was no dinner. Of course school was hard. I was teased a lot in school because my clothes were tattered and worn. I was very shy and withdrawn and did not have many friends. No one wanted to be friends with the little poor kids. It was very tough and I remember thinking I really don’t want to go to school.

There was on teacher that took a special interest in me. I was always smart and got good grades. She could see that my family did not have a lot of money but she helped me see how smart I was and all that I could achieve with a good education. So, I threw myself into my studies. That was the one thing I could control. I wanted to make sure I provided a better life for myself and my children.

Education has afforded me opportunities that I am very grateful for. Oprah Winfrey opened up a school in South Africa for girls because of her humble beginnings. She knew that a good education could empower girls in an impoverished country to become leaders of tomorrow. Across Africa, 28 million girls between the ages of about 6 and 15 are not in school and many will never be able to enter a classroom (Global Education Report, 2015).

In some parts of South Africa, girls live in very violent situations where extremists try to destroy their lives and their families and communities. These condition force girls to give up their dream of getting an education; forcing them to live in severe poverty. In South Africa, poverty is the biggest barrier for a girl getting an education. Education is the way out for those girls in South Africa just as it was for me. I do not pretend that my battle with poverty compares to the girls in South Africa. However, as a little girl it was that bad.

Global Education Report. (2015). No girl left behind – Education in Africa. Retrieved from

2 comments:

  1. That had to have been a very tumultuous time to go through endure something like that as well. I know I can't begin to understand or relate, but, I imagine that teacher lit the spark for you to work in education.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you mentioned that your education was one thing that you could control. I have seen many children in bad situations such as your lose hope and feel like everything was out of control. I have also seen kids control things in negative ways, such as behaviorally just so they could get attention that they may not be getting at home. I'm glad that you were able to take control of your life in such a positive way. I hope to someday be that teacher for one of my students.

    ReplyDelete