Friday, June 23, 2017

Professional Goals, Hopes, and Dreams







Early childhood education has become an important topic of conversation because of the lead tainted water and so many children being exposed to the water. There are programs being offered at many different institutions where these programs have not been offered before. The concerns of many is getting enough qualified teachers to teach fulfil the need. Finding one qualified lead teacher has been challenging. There has been talk of developing the para-professionals and extending their training to fill in the gaps. However, with every good idea comes the problem of funding. While there has been grants and government help, it is not enough. Many parents of the children who were exposed to the lead tainted water are grateful for the opportunities for their children to get the extra help. Many professionals report they are starting to see behaviors in the children who have higher lead levels.


The area colleges in Flint, MI have offered classes at reduced rates for those who can qualify. There have been free trainings for teachers and educators offered at Genesee Health Systems and throughout the community. There has also been a group coalition of professionals from multiple disciplines who come together and brainstorm about opportunities and how to help the children with high lead levels.


Some of my professional goals are to provide as much support and knowledge as I can to help the children in Flint, MI. After I complete this certificate program, I do not see myself going into a classroom; as I am nearing retirement age. However, I have consulted and participated in the coalition of professionals to see how I can help make a difference. I will continue to do so. My hopes and dreams would be to know that all of the children who were exposed to the lead water recover 100% and go on to live healthy and happy lives. I also hope the water lines will all be replaced so that this does not happen to any more children. I know our mayor is working hard to get the funding for this huge project. Some of the challenges that I see is money. Our governor does not want to pay for the replacement of the pipes in the city. That is an ongoing debate. While they are debating, many families are still living on bottled water. There has been some progress but we still have a long way to go. We continue to fight for what is right!

5 comments:

  1. It’s just sad about what is happening in Flint. I saw on the news one day where children were walking from different places carrying bottles of water. I even saw were one child got sick because of the water. It’s sad that the government’s not doing more to help these people. I can imagine what the teachers are going through. These children probably feel like don’t know one care about them. So, they act up. I just feel like the government can do more, but they don’t. Teachers need to so these children as much love as they can and give them the best education they can.

    LaQuesha Goss

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Delores,
    The situation in Flint is horrible. I had a child in my class several years ago who suffered from high lead levels/lead poisoning due to the presence of lead-based paint in the home. It definitely affects kids' brain development and their behaviors. Your comments about funding and how centers that want to invest in professional development for their staff may not be able to afford to do so are really spot on. So many times it all just comes down to the money. This is why we need to advocate for more government funding for early childhood programs.
    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. How disheartening to read how these children have been exposed to tainted water. The government needs to provide proper funding to resolve this issue and whatever medical treatment the children and their families need.

    There also needs to be more government funding for Early Childhood programs, Children develop so much between the ages 0 to 3 that there needs to be higher investment into those programs

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Delores,

    Thank you for sharing. First and foremost I'd like to extend my sympathy to all the children and families who were affected by the lead in the water in your community, I really hope they all recover from this devastating mishap. I agree, the pipeline should be replaced and there shouldn't be any hesitation about it, if it was the source of the problem. I wish all of you well.

    Dulce

    ReplyDelete